Re: Incorrect timing data

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Incorrect timing data
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 10:20:10 +1100
>I had some experience with a Clymers manual for a VW Dasher.  Fortunately
>I also had the factory manual.  The Clymers manual had several serious
>technical errors and wrong specs.  I heard a similar story from others
>about their Clymers manuals.  I'd suggest you use one only if you have
>some other source for specs.  If I had set the timing on that Dasher by
>the Clymer manual, it would have been maybe 10 degrees or more too early!
>
>Jim

I had a similar problem with my Moke (1275cc).  The genuine Leyland
workshop manual (Mini - all models) said the the advance should be 3 degrees,
but the Moke handbook said 13 degrees (BTDC).  Checking with other "general"
garage engine manuals, etc., I found that the Workshop Manual is WRONG.  This
is a little worrying as they should be last people to make a mistake...

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |