GT6 Mk II transmission identification

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: GT6 Mk II transmission identification
From: mjb@hoosier (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 90 20:54:26 -0700
Tim Drabik says:

::  I am looking at a GT6 Mk II (for real cheap) that I'd like to
::  identify as well as I can before buying.  The door plate says:

        KC 79794
          1970

::  which corresponds to the Mk II production run.  However, the
::  under-bonnet plate says

        78885 KD

If you are expecting the body shell number (under bonnet) to be the same as
the comission number on the driver's door jamb, you will be disappointed.
The two numbers have no real relation to each other, except for the fact they
are on the same car.

::  The thing I'm most worried about is whether the transmission
::  is a GT6 (not Spitfire) transmission.  It
::  has the GT6 characteristic "bent" shift lever, but it looks
::  an awful lot like the Spit box (maybe it's supposed to?)

The SPit and GT6 do use a very similar, if not always identical, case for the
gearbox.  The numbers you quoted are the casting numbers for the case.  The ID
for the tranny is stamped in the top surface of the case, on the right side
of the box.  Look where the top cover makes a large indentation.  A 70 GT6
case sould have something like "KC7nnnn" stamped in it.  A Spit box would have
something like "NNNNN FD".  Of course, there is no guarantee that the internals
of the GT6 box, a known weak point in the driveline, were not replaced by Spit
bits or are just trashed.  One would have to tear into the box to be sure.

::  I'm rather excited about the car.  Does anyone know whether
::  the PI intake setup (and cam) for the TR6 are compatible
::  with the 2.0l GT6 engine?

The GT6 has the TR5 petrol injection head, and a similar cam.  The stuff would
bolt right on, assuming you had it all.  You just wouldn't be able to close the
bonnet.

mjb.