moving MGB to Boston

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: moving MGB to Boston
From: gregoret@cgl.ucsf.EDU
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 90 11:58:29 -0800
Hi Gang,
It's decided.  This summer we're moving from San Francisco to Boston.
Which brings up the problem of what to do with our 66 MGB.  So far the
plan is to bring it east and store it in winter (in Maine, Pennsylvania,
or our own garage if we find a flat that comes with one).

But how to transport it?  Shipping the car via truck will cost ~$900.
This seems like a lot of money to spend on a car if it's not going to
either look better or run better in the end.  We could rent a truck
to take our furniture and car and drive ourselves, but first of all,
the smallest truck that can tow, according to the Ryder/Hertz/Uhaul people,
is 14'.  That's a truck for 5+ rooms of furniture and we only have 2!
Also, the truck would cost $1200 plus $250 for a trailer + gas.  This is not
much of a savings compared to shipping the car and shipping our stuff.

I asked if we could put the car _inside_ the truck, but the rental people
said "no" giving me various different reasons -- can't transport explosives,
it would be too heavy (yeah, right).  Also, there's the problem of getting
the car inside the truck, but I think that could be circumvented.  Do you
think it would be a mistake to try and transport the car inside the truck?
What are the hazards and liabilities involved and what kind of mileage do
those trucks get anyway?

For a while Chuck entertained the idea of towing the MG cross-country behind
our Honda.  I think I've convinced him it wouldn't make it over the Sierras.

Would anyone in the Bay Area like to make an offer on the car?

Anyway, thanks in advance and please Cc: me a copy of any postings as I
am still off the list because I'm trying to finish my thesis with as few
distractions as possible.

Lydia Gregoret (gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu gregoret@UCSFCGL.bitnet)