Re: MGB Engine Rebuild (and Intro)

To: Scott Turner <srt@cs.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB Engine Rebuild (and Intro)
From: banta@Eng.Sun.COM
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 91 11:49:23 EST
Well, for those who might not have seen my various running at the
keyboard for the past several years, I'll provide an introduction:

I'm Andy Banta, yet another Purdue refugee, currently working a Sun
Microsystems as a software engineer.  My current British car
collection includes an E-Production MGB-GT, a '67 MGB-GT (actually a
Special, in streetable condition) and a '64 MGB, again, streetable.

Scott Turner:
About engine rebuilds, congratulations and good luck.  MGB engines
are very straight forward, and there are no serious trick in
rebuilding one.  Just be very careful, and check your work regularly.
Keep in mind that '77 cars have fairly strict CA smog requirements,
and anything more than a mild cam grind will show up at smog time.

I would recommend pulling the engine and transmission together, then
spearating them.  While you have it out, replace the clutch.  Replace
engine and transmission mounts.  It your car is typical, the
transmission mounts will be about the consistancy of chewed gum.

If you have question about the integrity of the hardened valve seats,
replace them.  I think there may be some funkyness about getting the
engine past the catalytic converter on a '77, but having never done
that work, you can probably judge better than I can.  There's no big
trick in pulling the engine: disconnect everything, and if you don't
have an engine hoist available, a block and tackle or come-along over
a garage beam does a fine job of lifting.

More tips as they come to mind.

andy
banta@abingdon.sun.com