Re: MGB Engine Rebuild (and Intro)

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: MGB Engine Rebuild (and Intro)
From: gerry@speedy.att.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 91 11:16 EST
QUESTION :

Does anybody know hoe the ballast resistor is wired in ignition
cirtcuit of a late Midget ?

I have looked at several wiring diagrams and none show a balast resistor.
The coil says to use one and the Allison Elec ign insturctions
say "NEVER RUN WITHOUT A BALAST RESISTOR" - yet I can not find
a wiring diagram anywhere !!!!!

my guess is ::::

     --------     Black
     |Elec  |-------------------------------|
     |Ign   |     Red                       |
     |      |---------------------|         |
     --------                     |         |
        |            |--------->--|+ve      | -ve
        |            |          ---------------
        |            |          |             |
        |          ----         |             |
      Earth        |  |         |             |
                   |  |         |   Coil      |
                   |  |         |             |
                   |  |         |             |
       balast  --->|  |         |             |
                   |  |
                   |  |
                   ----
                    ^

                 12Volts

Is this correct ?

How does I know that the ballast reistor is working ?

Gerry