Re: Hardware

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Hardware
From: mjb@hoosier (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 91 08:51:10 -0700
::  Self locking nuts can be reused (in non-bearing and sealing applications)
::  if you can't thread the nut on by hand because of the nylon.  Since those
::  puppies run about a dime to a dollar each, there's no point in throwing away
::  a good one.

I reuse nyloc nuts all the time.  If the nut runs free until it hits the nylon
insert it should be okay.  But I have been spending more on small drill bits
and safety wire than Nyloc nuts these days.

As for the cost, I used to buy them a few at a time for about 40 cents each at
the hardware store.  Then I decided to just go ahead and start buying stuff
like that at a fastener specialty shop.  Cost me $3.56 for a box of 5/16 SAE
Nylocs.  I thought, gosh, that's 36 cents each, not much of a deal.  And then I
remembered it was a box of 100, not 10.  Boy, and I tell my wife that powers
of 10 are foolproof when it comes to arithmetic!

mjb.