RE>Whitworth (was- Re- MGB

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Whitworth (was- Re- MGB
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 4 Jan 91 09:42:28
        Reply to:   RE>Whitworth (was: Re: MGB Eng

>  Another source of Whitworth stuff is Coshman's.  He  has a fair
>  selection of wrenches, sockets, taps, dies, and thread chasers.
>  Hardware is available in BSF, BSP, BSCy, and BA.
Doug Braun writes...

>Could someone explain the Whitworth concept to us less-informed?
>I understand that it is a different size system for nuts and bolts, but I
>have never heard of the BSF, BSP, etc. stuff.
>Also, what cars used them?

      Most of the fasteners that common british cars used we "BSF" ( British
Standard Fine".  This is so close to our own National Fine, that the fasteners
are interchangeable.  The thread pitches, and major and minor diameters are the
same.  "Whitworth" mostly shows up on subsystems that the OEMs bought from some
other maker, like hydraulics or carburetors.
"BSP" stands for "British Standard Pipe".  This rarity shows up in a few
hydraulic fittings.  I believe that the master-cylinder-to-reservoir pipe on my
TR3 master cylinder used it.

      - Jerry Kaidor ( '55 TR2, '58 MGA )
      ( it's all my wife's fault.  She insisted I get into british cars.... )