Rebuilds

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Rebuilds
From: Mark Alan Dodd <madg8008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 91 11:45:54 -0600
It may be cheating to use high technology for rebuilding such "simple" cars,
but there is a better way to document parts than polaroids.  Most of you
have probably seen the tape of four hours worth of rebuilding SU carbs.
Since cam-corders are so common, surely a few of you have one.  I would
think that a carefully mounted tripod over a work bench would be ideal.
That should completely eliminate any "spare" parts at the end of a rebuild.
It will also help on all engine bay reconnections, as well as authenticity.
If you are going to do this, be sure your hands are as clean as TeriAnn, etal,
have suggested.  Rebuilding an engine may be cheaper than replacing your cam-
corder.  A final bit of fun with this, especially if you are pulling the
engine:  Show the tape in fast forward or fast reverse,  Haynes is correct,
refitting is just the opposite of removal!

Good luck to all of you winter rebuilders.  Someday classes will end and I
can join the fun.

Mark
madg8008@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu