RE>Re- RE>Re- Mouse, the Ja

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Re- RE>Re- Mouse, the Ja
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 4 Jan 91 16:49:41
        Reply to:   RE>Re: RE>Re- Mouse, the Jag t

--------------------------------------
Date: 1/4/91
To: Jerry Kaidor
From: relay.hp.com!hp-pcd.cv.hp.com!h

>      Here's a quick and simple test for electrolysis/corrosion... Take a
> voltmeter,  ground one probe, and stick the other into your coolant at the
> radiator fill hole.  A system in bad condition will show some voltage on the
> meter.... No, I don't know offhand what numbers to expect.
>
>        - Jerry Kaidor

Good point.  This is not a workable solution but when I was a sailor we had
zinc slugs bolted to the propeller shaft.  Electrolis would attack the
zinc, being a more active metal and leave the rest of the sailboat alone.

     Actually,  you _CAN_ get a sacrificial element that dangles from your
radiator cap into the coolant.  J.C. Whitney sells them.  Also, you can get a
filter-with-sacrificial-element that goes in one of the heater hoses.  They're
made for big trucks.  But I've found that as long as you run distilled water,
there's no problem anyway.

        - Jerry Kaidor