Re: What to carry.

To: british-cars@encore.com, dsinc!cgh!paul@encore.encore.com
Subject: Re: What to carry.
From: ssi!coventry!rmb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 18:13:32 CST
->I have a sneaking suspicion that many of the readers of this mailing
->list keep a set of tools in the boot.  If this is so, then perhaps
->these folks have already solved the problem of _what_ tools to carry,
->and of _what_ to carry them in?
->

        It depends on how far I'm travelling. If I'm going to work (1/2 mi)
it's whatever's on the Swiss Army Knife. If it's off autocrossing for
a day close to home or a short (< 6 hour) trip, the minimum is:

        2 phillips, 2 flatblade screwdrivers,
        3/8" and 1/2" socket sets, shorts, deeps, extensions, and plug wrenches.
        hammer,
        pliers, needlenose, 2 sizes of slip joint.
        feeler guage
        duct tape
        torque wrench
        1/2, 9/16, 7/16, 3/4, 11/16 combo wrenches
        crescent wench
        jack & 2 jackstands
        and the ever present Swiss Army Knife

        Except for the jack and the jackstands, it all fits into an old gray
plastic Sears toolbox I got for my birthday about 9 years ago. The addition
of a shop rag in the tray and one in the bottom cuts rattles to a minimum.
I generally keep a big quilt in the trunk and that keeps it from shifting
around too much.

        For longer trips, autocrosses a long ways away, or VTR conventions,
I take everything except the big compressor. Air tools, MIG welder, 4 spare
tires, the entire rolling toolbox. It fits nicely in the trailer along with
the luggage and the trailer only cuts about 2-3 mpg off highway milage.

->I'd like to find a tool-kit that was the right size (enough tools to
->do the job, but not so many that gas mileage and acceleration times
->suffer), and which did not rattle around.  A small plastic attache
->case filled with tools and a cushion of foam rubber is what I have in
->mind, but maybe a really good canvas tool roll would do.  Because
->these tools are duplicates, they need to be fairly inexpensive, too.
->

        Spend the $$ on decent ones. The last thing you want is to rely on some
tools out in the boonies and shatter a cheap socket trying to tighten
something important down. Being stuck out in the middle of nowhere is NO fun.
No matter how cute your date is....

->My problem is that I can't find something like this.  When I walk
->into Sears, I don't see what I want, and a quick skim of Hemmings
->didn't turn up the tools of my dreams, either.  Any suggestions are
->welcome.
->
        I really like the toolbox I have. It's plastic, so it doesn't try to
eat its way out of the trunk, big enough to hold ALOT of tools, and very light.
Problem is, you can't get them any more. At least I have not seen one in several
years. And as for buying a 'toolkit', don't bother. Go out and buy the tools
you need. The quality will be better, and while it won't be all neat and have a
custom fit 'home' for every gadget, you'll be happier in the long run.

->As a starter, here is a list of what I'd like to see in the way of
->tools...
->
->   Phillips and Straight-blade screwdrivers
[sundry tools deleted]
->   Small spool of safety wire
->

        In addition: Go down to Radio Shack and get a $9.95 kit that has
a wire stripper/crimper and assortment of electrical connectors. Stripper
has yellow handles, and the bottom of the case is blue. A very useful item,
I've got 2 or 3 of them, and the connectors are cheaper than buying all
of them separatly. It also fits into the toolbox nicely. Add some electrical
wire and you're all set for most Lucas demons.

->And while I'm at it, what kind of spare parts are carried?  After a
->fan-belt, fuses, and bulbs, does anyone carry a fuel-pump?  Points?
->Condenser?  Radiator hoses?  Length of 3/8" o.d. rubber hose?  What
->else?
->

        Duct tape!!! 5/8 OD hose (heater hose) 3/8 OD fuel quality hose,
rotor, 6 spare plugs, spare headlight bulbs (H4's so they fit in a 1.5"x1.5"x4"
box) 4 lug nuts, sundry loose screws in the bottom of the toolbox.

        And most important if you own a TR-6 or other IRS car: SPARE U-JOINTS!!!

        Can't forget the last 2 important items: The Roadster Factory's
phone number, and the credit cards..... ;-}

iii