portable tool kit

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: portable tool kit
From: akkana@apple.com (Akkana)
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 1991 16:05:47 PST
(Of course, this is about Italian tools, not British ones ... :-) )

Paul Homchick writes:
> I'd like to find a tool-kit that was the right size (enough tools to
> do the job, but not so many that gas mileage and acceleration times
> suffer), and which did not rattle around.  A small plastic attache
> case filled with tools and a cushion of foam rubber is what I have in
> mind, but maybe a really good canvas tool roll would do.  Because

I have the same problem (I can't carry a normal tool box, because the
box would slide around and the tools get all disorganized).  I've
fantasized a lot about a good canvas tool roll (an attache case is
entirely the wrong size and shape to carry in my car -- fine for a
hatchback, maybe) and I have some idea of what it would look like,
but I've never seen anything like that and it would be a lot of work
to make one.

Currently, I have a small canvas bag, which has two main pockets and a
small zippered pocket in the top flap.

Main pocket 1:
Wrenches.  A set of metric combinations from 8mm through 22mm (omitting
a few sizes which would be useless to me).  One 3/8" and one 1/4" ratchet,
with a couple of extensions, wobblies and adaptors.  Three socket rails
-- 1/4", 3/8" and 3/8" deep -- with all the useful sizes (plus a spark
plug socket, which always falls off the deep socket rail so now I keep
it separate).  One adjustable, which I try hard never to use (but I
often use it as a hammer since I don't carry one of those).

Main pocket 2:
A modest assortment of screwdrivers.  Vice grips, one normal and one
needle nose.  A "wonderbar" (pry bar which is useful for screwing the
piston into a Fiat rear caliper).  Pliers, longnose and regular.

Small zippered pocket:
Jetting tools (so I can find them quickly): for a Weber, a long
screwdriver and needlenose pliers; plus the bag of spare jets.
VOM (Radio Shack makes a great, tiny, cheap, digital VOM, perfect for
carrying in the toolbag.  It doesn't do amps, but normally what I
need on the road is voltage and continuity checks).  Bailing wire.
Electrical wire.  An assortment of alligator-clip leads.  A spark plug
sizer/gapper (I've never used this on the road).  A tape measure.
Chemicals: two kinds of locktite, two kinds of RTV, a tube of hand
cleaner, anti-sieze, a small bottle of WD-40.  A piece of gum (I've
heard so many stories on the net about people using it for repairs ...)

Things that won't fit in the toolbag:
Lug wrench and jack.  A tupperware container of nuts&bolts.  The Haynes
manual (annotated).  Assorted chemicals (if I think I'll be working on
the car I like to carry engine cleaner and carb cleaner).
Extra oil, water and brake fluid (ALWAYS carry these -- every time I
forget the car reminds me, the hard way!).  Paper towels.  A pressure
gauge and a small compressor (I have a nifty tiny one that came off a
Goldwing motorcycle -- if you're in the area, stop by and see this toy!)
Radiator stop-leak (Bar's leak is supposed to be the best, but if you
carry it around for too long the top unscrews and you get Bar's leak
all over everything.  Alumiseal works well and is far more convenient
to carry on a long-term basis).

Spares: I'm inconsistent about carrying these, but I like to have an
alternator belt, some fuses, some relays (never needed 'em but I've
seen people who did).  A timing belt would be a good idea, but I
don't carry one.  An extra H4 bulb would probably be a good idea
(but I don't do that either, though I have a pair at home).

Don't forget a flashlight that works!  I found a good one at Orchard
Supply: small, but has a fluorescent on the side and incandescent on
one end.  The fluorescent provides good diffuse light for looking
at the whole engine compartment.  It would be a major win to be able
to wire the flashlight to the car battery, but I keep putting that
off.  Alternately, they make portable compressors with good lights
built in, which you can plug into your cigarette lighter and use as
a work light.  I think Sam (who always gets great toys) has one.

And, last but not least, LOTS OF DUCT TAPE!  :-)

Most of the stuff that won't fit in the toolbag will fit in a backpack,
but I'd prefer a better solution.

(Whew -- I sure carry a lot around in that car!  No wonder it's slow :-)

--
        ...Akkana               (akkana@apple.com)