Re: portable tool kits

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: portable tool kits
From: garnett@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 1991 08:38:08 EST
I carry A lot of the same stuff that has already been mentioned.
My main tool bag is a Rupsack bag, heavy duty canvas, shaped a bit
like a gym bag) which even says "MG" and "concours bag" on the side,
if you can see through the grease.  It was a very knowing gift from
some Brit-car friends back when I bought my first B. The tools
aren't organized, but the bag will hold just about anything. You
can't stretch a box.  The contents shrink and grow, depending on
what car I'm driving, and where I'm going. This bag also lives in
the shop when I'm doing much work, as it has a good set of primary
tools. It also gets real heavy, and goes along when I'm working
in someone elses shop.

In addition to tools, hardware, glues, and other odds, I'll carry
parts I've bought for whatever job I haven't gotten to yet, and might
give trouble. A head gasket set went along in the GT to New England
this fall, just in case.  (The engine hadn't been used much for a
couple years, but the car did fine.)

The one thing you all forgot tho, which is always in my bag, is a quarter.
(The bag came with a dime). Luckly, this last resort tool has yet to be
used.

Tilly has a less major, but still functional bag of tools of her own.
She's had to use them more often on other's car than on her own. :-)

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!