Mobile toolkits reply

To: "british-cars@encore.COM"@HERMES.intel.com
Subject: Mobile toolkits reply
From: dstone@sc9.intel.com (D. STONE 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322")
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 07:02:36 PST
          As a result of using my Sprite for years as a
     daily driver, I've arrived at a bare minimum toolkit I
     keep in the boot all the time, and then add to this the
     remainder of my hand tools if the trip is of any
     appreciable length. All these are kept in a small
     tackle box, which to me is a Sprite-sized toolbox !

     Daily tools:
     -Small & medium crescent wrenches
     -7/16, 1/2, & 9/16 inch combo. wrenches
     -Channel lock pliers
     -Electrical crimping pliers (ones with a cutting edge)
     -Fuses, fuses, and more fuses
     -Spare fuel filter
     -Ty-raps, ty-raps and more ty-raps
     -Jumper cables
     -A length of 12ga. wire
     -Pocket knife
     -Both medium & small Phillips & flathead screwdrivers
     (or a common handle w/interchangeable bits)
     -Hand cleaner & rags

     And of course the obvious: gas can, water, oil & brake
     fluid.

     And with just this the only times I've ever had to have
     the car towed home is when the distributor
     self-destructed and when the tranny stuck in fourth
     (only after coming to a complete stop of course).

     For longer trips I'll throw in the most common sockets,
     a hammer, floor jack (a small one, the Sprite jack is
     terrible), spare rotor & plugs, a coffee can of odd
     bolts, and a blanket (either for lying on while
     scrinching under your car, or keeping warm while
     waiting for help). That's about it.