Re: Duct Tape

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Duct Tape
From: brady_p@apollo.com (Pete Brady)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 08:20:59 EST
John Taylor writes:

>> What is duct tape?  Is it the wide, thick cloth tape we call gaffer-tape?

The answer is either yes or maybe :-).  Most people in the States would call it
by either name but usually use the term duct tape, but there is a difference.

I do portrait photography as a side business and use gaffer's tape.  It looks
the
same as duct tape but is not quite as sticky - it (usually) does not leave a
residue on what it was sticking to.  Gaffer's tape is also more expensive.

Duct tape, on the other hand, is sometimes used for sealing heating/cooling
ducts,
the favoured way of holding race cars together at the track (our old Formula
Vee
car was about 80% duct tape:-), and makes a sticky mess when (if?) you remove
it.

--pete

J. Peter Brady                              INTERNET: brady_p@apollo.hp.com
Hewlett Packard/Workstation Group Mktg      UUCP:
{mit-eddie,attunix,decvax}!apollo!brady_p
M/S CHF-02-MD                               PHONE: +1-508-256-6600 extension
7423
300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA  01824     HP TELNET: 256-7423