Re: MGB Engine Rebuild (2) [really tools]

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: MGB Engine Rebuild (2) [really tools]
From: mjb@hoosier (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 91 12:34:55 -0700
Andy sez:

A tip for extending the life of your Whitworth wrenches:  Unless you
don't have room in your application, turn them so the sliding jaw is
getting less of the load.  I thought this was understood, but have
seen people use them backwards so often, I thought I'd mention it.  I
will now make a sorry attempt to include pictures.

           /\                      /\
         #|  |X                  X|  |#
         # \/ X                  X \/ #
        XXXXXXX                  XXXXXXX
          XX                        XX
          XX  -> this way           XX <- this way
          XX                        XX

Where # is the sliding jaw, and the Xs are the wrench, including the
fixed jaw.  The arrows are showing direction of handle travel.

---------

I have always turned them the OTHER way.  I had heard it was better to have
the moving jawed pushed against the body of the wrench, rather than pulled
out as the above method shows.

mjb.