Re: Cold starting a Spitfire, how long does it take?

To: ks5k@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU
Subject: Re: Cold starting a Spitfire, how long does it take?
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 91 13:09:56 PST

|       Perhaps this applies to LBCs in general...  How long do you
| all usually spend when starting your fine Brit steel?  Roughly.... after
| it has sat overnight, my '79 Spitfire takes about 10 seconds (at least
| 2 sets of starter motor application) in approximately 35F degree weather.
|
|       - Is this usual?
|       - Why do Japanese cars start right away, like my 78 Celica?
|
| curious,
| Kristian

A common reason for long cranking time after the car has sat for many hours
is a dry(or nearly dry) carb float bowl. Carbs, like SUs,  which have separate
float bowls
which attach to the bottom of the carb are prown to go dry in several hour
if they have a very small leak. Unless you have an electric fuel pump it
takes several pumps of the fuel pump to fill the bowl. ( one cycle of the pump
equals one cycle of the cam, equals two turns of the engine.)
Carbs (like Stomberg-Zeinith) which have cover plates or joints near the bottom
of their float bowls may also have this problem. The mechanical fuel pumps
on some older britcars had hand opperated levers on the outside to prime the
carb.
The original fuel pumps on a lot of Triumphs (and Volvos) were of this style.

The disadvantage of extra cranking after a car has sat is starter and
battery wear,  But there is also an advantage: the oil pump has a chance to
pump oil to bearings befor the engine actually fires, thus longer engine life.

In the morning my 1948 Triumph will crank for more than 60 seconds unless I
prime it. If I do prime it the motor starts on the first touch of the starter.

regards/dickn