Repair reference

To: british-cars-local-request%ucscc.UCSC.EDU@decwrl.dec.com
Subject: Repair reference
From: linus!mit-eddie!ucscc.UCSC.EDU!red4est!lrcrace@encore.encore.com (Where I get e-mail about cars)
Date: Sat Jan 12 02:19:44 1991
geez, for a thou, I'd do it!!!
Oh for the long lost days of yesteryear.
When I bought my first sprite (a '68) for $100,
it had a blown throw up (er, out) bearing.
One of the first things I did on that car, was
to replace the clutch.
  3months later when I had to replace it again,
I got the feeling that something might be
wrong.  It turns out, that to "adjust" the mechanical
clutch, some mechanical genius, welded an extra
half inch to the rod that extended from the slave
to the yoke.
   Actually, replacing the clutch isn't all that
bad of a job, assuming that you have a garage
in which to work.  It takes a few hours to
pull the motor (with tranny) and about the same
to put it back.  If you are really tight for cash
on renting a hoist, you can seperate the motor
from the tranny, and two reasonably strong guys
can pull the motor by hand.
  I do highly reccomend using a hoist to
reinstall the engine(with tranny).
Figure half a day to pull the motor, A day waiting
for the machine shop to surface the flywheel, and
half a day, to a day to put it back in.
  Now that I've done it a few times, I could likely
do it in half that time.  Especially with the
Wonderfull Tool (tm).
   Larry

The clutch release bearing has gone on my 68 Midget. Anyone care to recommend a
reasonable workshop in the SF bay-area for the repair (O'Connor Classics in
San Jose quoted about $1000 which to me seems a bit unreasonable!).