Re: Midget clutch

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Midget clutch
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 21:32:38 -0600

  With all this talk about removing engines and how most everybody seems
to think that removing the starter makes life easier, I wonder if I'm
doing something wrong?  I have never removed the starter from my MGB
when removing the engine.  Of course I do remove the bonnet, I have become
very good at aligning the thing.  My method of removing the engine is as
follows;

            Remove bonnet.  Remember to put something under the back
            edge so the paint doesn't suffer.

            Disconnect everything except the radiator.

            Unbolt the radiator and oil cooler from the body.  With
            the radiator comes the mounting bracket.  If you don't
            take the entire mounting bracket you will be in a world
            of hurt.

            Unbolt the propeller shaft from the transmission, unbolt
            the engine and transmission mounts.

            Place a buffer between the fan and the radiator.

            Attach your favorite hoisting device and lift the engine out.
            I have found that a skid loader works very well but you
            must be careful with the pressure applied.

            Installation is the reversal of the removal.

  I've gotten this whole operation down to about 90 minutes.  I have never
had to take the starter off.  It seems that it would be a stressful
operation anyways.

       Tim