re: pulling engines...

To: bcr!LANL.GOV!pogo!sanders@encore.com
Subject: re: pulling engines...
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 16 Jan 1991 11:27 EST
>With all the discussion of pulling engines, I was wondering how people
>actually attach the hoist chain to the engine. Do you just use the rocker
>shaft or have a made-up bracket to stick on the head/rocker gear bolts?
>Since I'm looking to buy a cherry picker, is a load leveler necessary/useful?
>Any comments would be appreciated.
>
>John

Some engines (eg. TR-3 and TR-4) actually have brackets for
that specific purpose.  It wouldn't be too dificult to fabricate
a set of brackets to be used if the engine doesn't have any.
You can also bolt up a short piece of chain to a stud at the
front of the engine and another at the rear.  If no stud is a
available, look for an appropriate bolt hole (I wouldn't
use a bolt or stud of less than 5/16").

I would NEVER use the rocker shaft for fear of bending
or otherwise damaging it.

A load leveler is a nice, but not absolutely required extra.
It does give you a much greater ability to easily change
the angle of the engine/transmission combination as it is
being removed.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com