To: sanders%pogo@LANL.GOV, british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>pulling engines...
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 16 Jan 91 10:07:24
        Reply to:   RE>pulling engines...

>Howdy!
>With all the discussion of pulling engines, I was wondering how people
>actually attach the hoist chain to the engine. Do you just use the rocker
>shaft or have a made-up bracket to stick on the head/rocker gear bolts?
>Since I'm looking to buy a cherry picker, is a load leveler >necessary/useful?
>Any comments would be appreciated.

>John

  I've always wanted a load leveler, but since I've never had one, and pulled
_lots_ of engines, I guess it's not necessary.  Congratulations on having the
$$ and storage space for your very own cherry picker, by the way.  I
make do with a hole in the garage beam, and a come-along.   I have a pair
of 3/8" thick steel angles with a hole in each face.  With MG engines, I
bolt each angle to the rocker arm pedestal.  Then a short chain goes between
the angle brackets, and the comealong hooks up to a link in the
middle of the chain.

 When I used to wrench down at
Fast Eddie's garage, we used to pull V8's by running a chain around the
rocker arm shafts.  I never liked it, but it worked.  We never had a cherry
picker, we just looped the chain up around the car-lifting hoist.
    Once I was pulling a Ford V8 that was stuck, so the engine wouldn't turn.
I couldn't unbolt the torque converter, so I was pulling the engine
SLOWLY.  UP a little, ease the car back a little.... Fast Eddie got impatient
watching me, and just hauled back on the air lever on that hoist.  UP-up-up
the whole car lifted up about four inches, there was a "CRACK", and the
engine came right out.  Unfortunately, the input shaft to the transmission
came out with it!    I wound up rebuilding that transmission.
            - Jerry Kaidor