Re: Mokes

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Mokes
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 10:37:09 -0500
s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee]) writes:
> In case you don't know what a Moke is (I've had several messages so far), I'll
> try to describe it.
> The Moke is a derivative of the ordinary Austin/Morris/BMC/Leyland Mini and
> uses the same mechanical components (ie. both subframe assemblies).  It was
> originally designed as a military vehicle (but failed) and is jeep-like, being
> completely open when the roof is lowered...

I believe even the U.S. military ordered a few!

> I hope this description has helped.  If you want to see a picture of a Moke,
> most decent Mini books ("Mini - 30 years on", etc) have a few photos, as do
> some books on 60s cars.

Ditto that comment!  Also, I know that several of you have seen the 1960's
British cult TV show, "The Prisoner" --- you may remember those little
vehicles they drove around The Village with the brightly covered tops, they
were Mini Mokes!

        Long Live The Mini!
                "Be Seeing You!"        (No.6, "The Prisoner")

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert