Mokes

To: yale!encore.com!amc-gw!british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Mokes
From: yale!harvard!uunet.UU.NET!morpho!alan@encore.encore.com (Alan Dahl)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 11:35:23 PST
s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee]) writes:
> In case you don't know what a Moke is (I've had several messages so far), I'll
> try to describe it.
> The Moke is a derivative of the ordinary Austin/Morris/BMC/Leyland Mini and
> uses the same mechanical components (ie. both subframe assemblies).  It was
> originally designed as a military vehicle (but failed) and is jeep-like, being
> completely open when the roof is lowered...
Even though the Mini-Moke does not meet US emission or safety standards
I saw several new or almost new examples in Avalon, Catalina, California
in May of 1988.  They all had California licence plates as did several
golf carts I saw.  I assume that there is some special licence for golf carts
and such and that the Mokes were considered carts as well!  I wonder if it
would be possible to title/licence these vehicles elsewhere in the US :-)
Normally I'd say no, but if these had a valid California title I don't think
the DOL in Washington state would know or care.  What was the last year
these vehicles were imported into the US?
      ___    __    __    __          __      Alan Dahl
    / / /  /  /  /__/  /__/  /__/  /  /      North American MORPHO Systems
   / / /  /__/  / \   /     /  /  /__/       1145 Broadway Plaza
                                             Tacoma, WA. 98402, USA
   PH:  1 (206) 593-8021
   FAX: 1 (206) 591-8856           ...uw-beaver!amc-gw!morpho!alan
                                   ...sumax!amc-gw!morpho!alan
                                   (please DO NOT use uunet!amc-gw!...)