Rebuild startup

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Rebuild startup
From: mjb@hoosier (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 91 14:59:52 -0700
One thing I have not yet seen mentioned (or else I missed it) is priming
the oiling system by, oddly enough, running the oil pump.  You put the
engine together, except for the parts which cover access to the oil pump
drive.  This is often the distributor.  You make a shaft of some sort that
fits into the tang which drives the oil pump.  You put a few quarts in the
sump, stick your drive rod in an electric drill, seat the other end into
the drive tang for the pump and away you go.  I found out where that little
leftover bolt from the Spit 1147 motor goes that way, even if I did ruin a
good T shirt.  Amazing how much oil can squirt out of a small threaded hole
in a gallery in a short time!

mjb.