Re: MGB Help-

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: MGB Help-
From: Greg Tobin NEA SPS DEC <tobin@neagp.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 06:10:52 PST
  Bob-

    I would repeat a tip that Mark already alluded to:  Check the wiring for
 hacks.  If nothing else- this really shows what kind of owner had it before.
 Take a peek behind the fuse block, in the trunk, see if the wrap is still on-
 if it looks new, or if the dork who had it ripped all the tape off, pulled
wires
 here and there and left open connections laying around.  See if the wiring
looks
 kind of "Radio-Shack'ish"- lots of cheapy connectors, red wires carelessly
placed...

   On my 79 spitfire- whoever owned it last needed to attach a few (6 guage...)
wires
 to the fuse block- And soldering is best for a good connection right?  They
shoved
 the iron through the harness, melted the fuse block, and put the wires on.
The whole
 wiring harness was like this.    I spent a couple of months trying to find the
litte
 Lucas demons, and said to hell with it- went to Victoria, and got a new
harness.
 A bit dear, but it did the job.
 (At least this way I now know *every* wire by heart, and can probably list off
what
 goes where in my sleep...)

 -Greg