Re: The war at hand.

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: The war at hand.
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 91 09:56:49 -0500
Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com> wrote:
> GGN100@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (You Know Who) wrote:
> |
> |      Has anyone else noticed that the British RAF have been losing a lot
> | more planes than the other air forces? I wonder what the piolots carry in
> | THEIR toolboxes. Maybe the planes just want to stay on the ground and get
> | a new coating of oil.       :-)
>
> Seriously, We were talking here at work about the Brits shot down.
> I heard a theory that the kind of targets and kind of flying they
> are doing is among the more dangerious over there. Low level against
> strongly defended air bases.

Correct!  I'm glad someone else realises these details.  One of the missions
of the Royal Air Force Tornado GR-1A's is to destroy enemy airfields coming
in at very low levels under very heavy anti-aircraft fire.

Details of British activity (and losses) are far and few between here in the
U.S. and I'm still in the dark about how many losses.  Five British
Tornados I last heard?  Albeit the Hartford Courant had a small, but nice
article about the "other" air forces involved besides the U.S.  The Brits
are the better known, but according to the article the Saudi Royal Air Force
are flying twice as many sorties per man than the Americans accounting
for 20% of the total sorties.  The article also commended the Italians with
two squadrons of British Tornado GR1's and a few Kuwaitis who escaped the
invasion of their country.  There are 20 Kuwaiti pilots flying American
A-4 Skyhawks flying an average of 24 sorties per day.

Sorry this isn't about British cars, but I'm one nervous Brit who couldn't
resist to comment when the subject came up...  I'll try and shut up now.

Back to your regular British Car viewing...

PS:  My "British Car" magazine just came yesterday.  Brightened me up a lot!

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert