RE>Re- Re- Electrical syst

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Re- Re- Electrical syst
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 25 Jan 91 10:57:46
        Reply to:   RE>Re:  Re- Electrical systems

From: tsang@cs.washington.edu
Jerry Kaidor writes:
>Roger Garnett writes:
>
>>(Don't use 125/250V fuses in your car- they are designed differently)
>
>    What's the difference?  Seems to me that 10 Amps is 10 amps,
>regardless of its height above ground.  I can see where a 32 Volt fuse
>might arc over after it blew in a 240 volt circuit, but what difference
>can it make the other way? (Besides, maybe, the 240V fuse not fitting
>in the automotive fuse holder...)

Uhh... ever stick a 12 volt power supply on a 3 volt lightbulb?
10 Amps is 1250 watts at 125 volts.  If the resistance on the fuse
is, say, .1% of the total resistance on the circuit, we're talking
a 1.25 watt lightbulb, equivalent to about 400 mA @ 3 volts.

At 12 volts, however, this is .125 watts, which may not even be
warm.

Counting in the other direction, then, a 125V 10 amp fuse will take
about 4x as much current at 12V as a 32V 10 amp fuse...

Your mileage may vary, of course.

  Donald Tsang, proud owner of two Triumph TR7s
  tsang@june.cs.washington.edu
 -------------- end of quote from Donald Tsang ------------------

    ---- No, the system voltage is NOT across the fuse.  The only voltage
across the fuse is that caused by the current through the fuse going through
the resistance of the fuse V = IR.   The power dissipated by the fuse is I*I*R.
 This power dissipated by the fuse is totally independant of the system
voltage.  It is determined TOTALLY by the CURRENT through the fuse!

        - Jerry Kaidor