Roadster Religious Wars

To: hoosier.cs.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Roadster Religious Wars
From: jeb@mtqua.att.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 93 13:54 EST
I always thought that the term "roadster" implied no side
windows.  My Austin-Healey 100 is a roadster, really meant
to be driven with the top down.  No side windows, no outside
door handles, minimal interior finishing.  By the time the
3000s came out, they had deteriorated to convertibles. :-)

When you want to buy a Jag XK120 you get a choice of coupe,
drophead coupe, and roadster.  The DHC has a very nice tight
padded top with a glass window, and rollup windows.  The
roadster has a crude single-layer top and no side windows.

What really makes me laugh is seeing a big Oldsmobile in
the parking lot, with the elaborate fake convertible top,
fake laundau irons, and fake wire wheels, with a chrome
label on the fender proclaiming Roadster.

Jim Beckman   att!mtqua!jeb      1955 A-H 100