Shooting-brake

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Shooting-brake
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 93 12:34:22 CST
In Mark's note he states:

>From min@Kodak.COM Mon Jan  4 11:30:53 1993

>The term that I have never heard a good definition for is
>"Shooting Brake", as in the current Aston Martin or various
>pre-war Bentleys.  My understanding of correct pronunciation
>has the emphasis on the word shooting.

>Mark

When one doesn't know the definition of a term, one should
substitute the definition of another term.  This is how politics
and interviews are mixed.  So, here is one for you.  The word
"brake" in "brake horsepower" or BHP is from the term "Prony brake".
This device was used to measure torque on early dynomometers.
The term "brake horsepower" came from the horspower calculated
from the torque produced using the Prony brake.

>From the halls of useless information...

Rick
     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, until they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...