Re: Miata Move Over

To: Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu, British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Re: Miata Move Over
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1992 08:43:06 -0500
 Subject: Miata Move Over

> The Midget will be a slightly enlarged version of the current Beat, which is

Does this mean I won't have to hide my current Hondas at MG meets?
As the owner of both multiple Hondas and MG's, I have mixed feelings
about this. On one hand, there is the triditional "it's not really
an MG viewpoint", but the same could be said about the 60's Midget
too. (and was). On the other hand, I *like* my Hondas. They're
reliable, easy to work on, and fun to drive. I think I like the idea.

I've seen pictures of this car- nice styling. Sorta a cross between
a Miata and a Viper, only a lot smaller than either.

> powered by a 64 horsepower, 640cc, 3 cylinder, 12 valve engine, which
> revs eaisly to it's 8500 RPM redline, and a slick shifting 5 speed

This certainly is the right performance level for a Midget- The new version
will probably have something more like an 800 or 1000 cc engine, to
apease American drivers, which should yeild interesting performance with
low gas usage. This car *HAS* to have the Geo Metro convertible beat!.

>  The mid-engined two-seater is built on a 90 inch wheelbase,
> with a well engineered strut-type suspension, four-wheel disk brakes,
> and different front and rear tires - 155/65R13 front, 165/60R14 rear.

Probably a little tail heavy, but this could be interesting. This may
have serious track potential- Heck, there could be new life for
H-Production yet.

> MG will probably be sold ... for about $11,000.

I might be able to afford a new MG yet! This has potential to my first
new car purchase ever.

> Rover spokesmen said that "The new Midget embodies the same spartan,
> inexpensive, and fun spirit of previous MG's".

   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!