Re: Miata Move Over

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Re: Miata Move Over
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1992 08:44:09 -0500
I scribed:
 Subject: Miata Move Over

For those of you who still aren't sure, sorry, but this wasn't all true.

Yet.

> Honda Motor Corp, which owns 20% of the Rover Group,

This is true, as are previous joint projects. (Rover/accura, Rover/Triumph
sedan, Honda plant in England)

> a small convertible, currently known as the Honda Beat in Japan,

Does exist, at around $10K, as described. And Honda *is* looking at
marketing a slightly larger version in the US.

> In 1993, Rover will also introduce a new 3.9 litre V8 MGB. The powerful 60's
> Retro-car will sell for around $45,000.

As previously discussed, this is sick, but true.

> "The new Midget embodies the same spartan,
> inexpensive, and fun spirit of previous MG's".

If Rover did decide to bring out a new Midget, this car qualifies. Just
another case of badge engineering, in the modern marketplace. I still
think I wouldn't mind owning one.

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!