Re: Tire size and speed calculator

To: edc@noc.vitalink.com
Subject: Re: Tire size and speed calculator
From: gla-aux!glenn@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu (Glenn Austin)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 92 15:50:15 PST

In Regards to your letter <Eds=ysW4w19KQ2z1pe@sandy.noc.vitalink.com>:

> Excerpts from mail: 6-Apr-92 Re: Tire size and speed cal.. Glenn
> Austin@skinner.cs. (1490)
>
> > According to the calculator, my '87 Daytona will theoretically do 174+ in
> > 5th gear at 6000 RPM.
>
> Guess we have to figure out a factor for aerodynamic drag! That must be
> the missing
> factor that skews the results! :-)

That's why I said "theoretically".  Although during some time at PIR, I
had it up to 120+, and it was loafing in 5th gear.  I estimate that the
"real" top speed will be around 140-150.

I have "taken over" the maintenance on the Daytona after having a dealership's
mechanics set the ignition advance over 8 degrees slow.  Since I did that,
the car has had plenty of power, and torque steer isn't the problem that
it was before, probably because there's more power without the turbo.
The next thing is to replace the 5W-30 that was also their recommendation
(but not the manual's) with a 15W-50 synthetic and look into the transmission
"notchiness" that seems to pervade the A-555 in the Daytona.

> ---
> +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Eric D. Christensen - Vitalink Communications - Network Operations Center |
> |        Email: edc@noc.vitalink.com           Phone: (510)795-6123         |
> |    SCCA San Francisco Region - Formula 440 #6, Solo II HS Impulse #19     |
> |                    "REAL race cars don't have fenders!"                   |

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |