MG tech questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MG tech questions
From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1992 18:17:16 -0600
Teriann-
I thought I was an MG expert but you asked all sorts of questions I don't
know the answers to! I'll take a stab at a couple:

My 68 B also overheats in traffic on warm days, anything above 70F . I've
always assumed it was because my cooling system is not cleaned out, in
fact, I am in the process of seeing if any local shop can do a core job
on the radiator. I'm also considering the distilled water trick, to dissolve
out any deposits in the block.

I have fitted a coolant recovery bottle. It was a generic one, that attaches
with a single sheet metal screw to the bulkhead next to the radiator.
It is unpressured, and works quite well. Cost about $8.

My final step in the war against overheating will be an electric fan.

Wiper blades: It seems like every year I have to buy a new blade and mount
system, since no local shop carries the right replacement blades. I never
have any trouble mounting them on the arms, though, and I recently bought
a new replacement arm from Moss.

Engine chain attachment points: I think I used the exhaust manifold bolt
holes, and a bolt on the rear engine plate, and one of the alternator
bracket holes in the front. This was for a load leveler that needed 4
attachment points.

Hope this helps. I'll be interested in any net answers to your questions.

-Jean H.