MGB questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB questions
From: danb@apd.MENTORG.COM (Daniel Boughton)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 92 10:37:14 -0700
In Stokel's, an all-car mechanic's manual of the appropriate period (and a good
one at that) the tool to center the seal is shown being used on any car without
locating holes in the cover.  I would assume you could pick this tool up at
any full-blown automotive tool supplier rather than requiring BMC part xxx.
How important it is probably depends upon how good your eye is.

When pulling engines, I just pick two stout bolts close to the top in the
front and rear.  It's better if they are diagonal (across the head) from
each other otherwise there is more stress on the bolts.  I ususally use
one front manifold bolt and one trans mounting bolt.  Use washers and tighten
them up snug or it will bend them and possibly ruin the threads.

Regarding rain water.  I have seen it come in under the windshield seal
(difficult to locate) and run down cables through the bulkhead.  It can
also come down a wiper drive cable.  These are always hard to find due to
the drips running down a wire after they enter.

Overheating.  Check all the standard stuff (blown head gasket, thermostat is
working correctly, etc.).  It's also worth while getting the radiator cleaned
if it hasn't been done in a while.  I don't recall overheating being a problem
with B's here but we don't get ton's of hot weather or traffic.  If you really
need some other solution then bigger core is probably a better solution than
an electric fan (harder to notice, doesn't rely on the electric system, no
holes to drill, ...).  It doesn't cost much more either.

Hope this helps, and, "here" is Portland, OR.