spitfire overdrive question (corrected)

To: chrysanthemum!sol@hoosier
Subject: spitfire overdrive question (corrected)
From: taylor!randy
Date: Tue Apr 14 23:24:18 1992
On fitting a Mk4 trans into a 1500.

First off, let me say that I do not know if it will work or not. I've
never had reason to try such a swap. So, I'm just gonna ramble a bit
about the *possible* pitfalls involved.

There are many (*many*) differences between the two cars. Such as:
 flywheel
 clutch disk
 pressure plate
 trowout bearing
 bearing collar
 release arm
 slave cylinder (maybe)
 everything inside the trans except the syncro rings
 drive shaft, including flange bolt circle

In other words, they're as different as you can get and still be in the same
car family. Now, if you swap the whole shooting match (bellhousing, trans,
release arm and friends, mounts, driveshaft), it should bolt in. But there are
three places that things can get you. Two are easy to check. First, you'll
have to use the Mk4 clutch disk with the 1500 flywheel and pressure plate. If
the two clutches are the same diameter, it'll work. Second, you'll have to
use the rear flange off of your driveshaft on the new one. That is, if the
u-joints are the same. If not, you're looking at cutting and welding. Third,
and this is the tough one, is the fitted depth and stroke of the throwout
bearing. Will it work with the 1500 pressure plate? I don't know, and there
are so many variables involved that I can't come up with any easy way to
check it.

Note also that the two trans are different length, and I don't mean because
of the overdrive. A 1500 non-od box is about three inches longer than a
Mk4 non-od box. The shifter may not come out in the same place.

Also note that this infomation and guess work is based on five year old
memories. It's been that long since I've seen a Mk4. It may already have
the larger drive flanges.

  Randy
   randy@taylor(.uucp)