mini oil seal

To: tcd.ie@mckillnmunix2.dcmdc.dla.mil, sol@hoosier
Subject: mini oil seal
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Wed Apr 15 08:04:12 1992
It is possible to change the clutch oil seal on a mini with the engine and
trans in the car, but it is a pain.

you will have to unbolt the clutch side motor mount, engine steady rod,
at least loosen (very loose the other engine mount), and disconnect the remote
shift housing from the transmission.

disconnect the slave cylinder, remove the starter solenoid, which should be in
your way.  Now jack up the clutch end of the power unit. remove the cover
plate on that end of the engine.

Now the fun really begins, you get to attempt to pull the flywheel.  First
remove the 1 5/16 nut on the end, it should be pretty tight.

Now get a really sturdy flywheel puller, tighten down and start tapping the
flywheel with a hammer, tighten some more, tap some more, ad nauseum.
sometimes the flywheel will practically weld itself to the end of the crank.

once the flywheel is off, you can get to all the clutch parts and remove them.

you should now be able to get the the oil (red) seal.  the trick is getting
new one over the primary gear or vice versa without damaging the seal.
7 Enterprises and Mini Mania  both sell tools to help you do this.

I have always removed the power unit to do this and have not needed the tool.

BTW there is a little plastic shield you can buy to fit over the primary
gear to keep oil from the oil seal off of the clutch.  It may help in the
future.

as they say in the Haynes Manual... Reassembly is the opposite of the above.

Good Luck

jim fuerstenberg

                        186,000 miles per second, it's not just a good idea
                        it's the law!

jfuerstenberg@dcri.dla.mil or
xgg2356@dcri.dla.mil

The opinions stated herein are solely my own and not those of my employer.