Re: spring compressors

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: spring compressors
From: sgi.com!pei!hawking.pei.com!berry (Berry Kercheval)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 11:33:53 -0700
>(T.J. Higgins) said:

> 4) Since my 'murrican car spring compressors won't work on the
>    TR, anybody got a line on the style that they recommend?
T.J.> I had the same problem with the Alpine.  I finally ended up buying the
T.J.> spring compressors that are advertised by Victoria British, and they
T.J.> worked perfectly.

When I rebuilt the front end of Sibyl (my Fawlty TR6) I didn't use a
spring compressor at all.  I jacked up the front end and put it on
sturdy stable jackstands and shook the devil out of it to make sure it
was stable.  I removed the wheel and shock damper, and then placed a
jacl under the lower A-arm.  I raised the jack to slightly compress
the spring and firmly support the A-arm and then carefully undid the 4
nuts that hold the spring base to the A-arm, uh, arms.
  Let me underscore "carefully".  First I just loosened each nut a
quarter turn and made sure all was still secure.  Then I undid one nut
at a time, checking security after each nut.  Finally, the A-arm arms
were loose and swung out of the way, with only the jack holding the
spring base and spring up.  Working from in front of the car (with the
wing and radiator between me and the spring) I carefully lowered the
jack so as to remove the pressure on the spring and remove it from the
car.

I did this on both sides without incident, but I was of course quite
respectful of the stored energy in the spring!  If you try this wear
eye protection (I have my regular glasses made with safety lenses...)
and BE CAREFUL.

Oh, yeah, reassembly is the reverse of the above.  :-)

  --berry