Re: Brit mid-engines

To: british-cars-local-request@wsl.dec.com,
Subject: Re: Brit mid-engines
From: steve@europa.esd.sgi.com (Loopy - the spineless boy)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 92 13:24:28 -0700
> The first inexpensive production midengine car was the
>Lotus Europa (introduced when, Phil?)

>1966 or 1967.  I get fuzzy when I have no books handy. There certainly were
>cars sold in France for the 1967 model year.  Maybe in 1966, too.

The first series production mid-engine sports car was the Rene Bonnet and
Matra-Bonnet Djets.  They went into production in 1962 thru 1967.  I have
no idea how they might have compared price-wise with the Europa.  They also
use the classic longitudinal layout like the Europa.  They used 4 wheel
disc brakes, double wishbone suspension front and rear, and a very pretty
fiberglass body.   It was a pretty advanced car for its time, yet you
never hear about them, or see them mentioned in books because they are
*French*.  Nobody appears to take French cars seriously after WWII.

Mine is a standard 1967 Djet V.  It uses a stock 1108cc Renault R8 engine
producing 70hp.  Maybe I'll have it on the road before summer...

>I don't recall any other "inexpensive" car with the classic race-car
>longitudinal layout EVER being sold in the USA.  The Pantera, at $10K, was
>rather expensive in it's day.

Other than the above mentioned Djet, there is the VW-Porsche 914, which uses
the same layout.  I think it's price was on par with the Europa.  Matra
also had the M530 of 1968-1972, which used the Ford V4 in a longitudinal
layout.  This one probably doesn't count, since few were imported.

steve                    "It's completely lodged inside you now"
                        - thinkin fellers union local #282