britcars attract rain

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: britcars attract rain
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James TenCate)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 92 19:41:04 -0500
     I now have proof.  There is no reason whatsoever to hire an
American Indian to perform a rain dance to make it rain.  Simply
gather two or more British cars together, and VOILA!
Thunderstorm!@#$@#  Proof?
    This weekend is the South Central Regional VTR meet at Lago
Vista, (near Austin) Texas.  Friday night was beautiful.
Weatherforecaster-types were saying:  nice weekend in store!
Hah.  I got up early this morning to help set up the funkhana and
slalom.  On the drive out to Lago Vista I noticed a really dark
cloud looming off to the left.  Lightning too!
   "Good thing that thunderstorm isn't where I'M going" I thought
to myself.
    As I drove further I began to wonder a little.  My sense of
direction wasn't so great and I realized that I was driving right
at the thunderstorm.  Well, I had almost no warning:  first a few
little drops and then WHOOOOSH!  Me and the inside of my car got
baptized.  Watching the weather guys tonight I see that there was
a rather isolated thunderstorm right near Lago Vista, on the
lake.  Guess where all the Triumphs were?
    Later that morning, we moved all the Triumphs to another
location, the site of the funkhana and slalom.  You can guess
what happened.  Sure enough, soon after we got a critical mass of
British cars, the storm clouds began to regroup and headed right
at us.  (Fortunately, we just finished before the clouds opened
up.)  I was POSITIVE I heard laughter in that little cloudburst
:-)

More details later.
jim