TR6 Throttle Linkage Question

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: TR6 Throttle Linkage Question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1992 10:30 EDT
Hi,

I'm sure someone out there in British Car Land has
succesfully done this operation, and I am getting
frustrated trying to finish this job, so I thought I'd
ask, just for laughs.

The throttle shaft has two nylon bushings at either end
where is passes through the firewall. The old ones came
out very easily (while I was  tromping on the throttle,
no doubt.)The resultant rattling sound is quite annoying
when I am driving around. The new ones (from TRF) don't
seem to want to go in.

I tried warming the bushings up (in hot water) but they
don't seem to get very flexible. I then positioned one
in one of the holes (passenger side) and tried squishing
it in with a screwdriver. This was mostly succesful,
after about twenty minutes, I had about 2/3 of the
busing in place. I then got inside the car (under the
dash) and tried playing with the part of the bushing
that had extruded through the hole with some pliers. The
thing popped out! Bummer.

What is the prescribed method for this task? Should I
try soaping them up, or should I try oiling them? The
Bentley manual does not really help at all.

Thanks in advance for any help,

rml
MIT Computer Services
(617)253-7438

p.s. e-mail responses would be appreciated to:
lang@isis.mit.edu