TR6 clutch woes

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 clutch woes
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 92 16:15:05 EDT
After reading the archives, I think I may have finally realized what
my clutch problems are on my TR6.  You see, the clutch grabs right at
the bottom of the peddle.  I recently rebuilt my engine.  When I put
in the new transmission seals, I found that the *pin* that holds the
release bearing fork to the shaft was broken in two.  So I decided
that since the pin was still in the shaft, and it worked before that I
would just put it back the way it was.  (I felt that a new clutch
would solve my peddle to the floor problem - NOT).  Well, I think that
the release fork may not be lined up just right and that makes me have
to shift with the clutch peddle COMPLETELY to the floor.  So, I've
decided to take out the trans at some point and put a new pin in.
Moss sells a heavy duty pin, I think I'll use that.  Does anyone have
any suggestions on how I can get the old pin out of the shaft?  I
don't think I can fit an electric drill in the bell housing to drill
it out.  Can I remove the bell housing?  (I haven't looked at my
manuals yet)

Also, there was some talk last fall about using a TR4 slave cylinder
on a TR6 to prevent the throwout bearing from wearing out quickly.
Could someone tell me the complete procedure on this?

-Scott