Re: MGB engine question

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: MGB engine question
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1992 08:56:48 -0500
Mike Wilson writes:
>My '67 MGB clatters on startup (when cold) and the clatter returns after
>the engine gets warm. It is worst at moderate (2.5-3.5k) RPM's.  The oil
>pressure is pretty good, about 60 when cold and then dropping towards 40
>when hot. A couple of people have suggested rod bearings, and it looks
>like I can change these by dropping the pan. The basic question is: How far
>should I go with this? In particular, (assuming that the engine hasn't been

  Sounds like the engine I started with except mine didn't clatter.  Your
oil pressure doen't sound all that good.  With a fresh set of bearings in the
bottom the engine can get 100 psi when cold and 75 when hot.  My engine
started with about the same oil pressure as yours and I just changed the rod
bearings.  This helped the oil pressure a little in that it was higher when
hot but 20,000 miles later I was changing the rod and main bearings because
the oil pressure had fallen to 30 psi when hot and almost 0 on the gauge if
I let it idle to long.  As far as the clatter, it's probably the rod bearings.
You could probably get by with changing just the rod bearings but it would
be more cost effective in the long run to change the rod and main bearings.

       Tim