Re: MGB engine question

To: mwilson@max.arc.nasa.gov (Michael A. Wilson)
Subject: Re: MGB engine question
From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 May 92 11:31:51 MDT
Mike Wilson writes:

> My '67 MGB clatters on startup (when cold) and the clatter returns after
> the engine gets warm. It is worst at moderate (2.5-3.5k) RPM's.  The oil
> pressure is pretty good, about 60 when cold and then dropping towards 40
> when hot. A couple of people have suggested rod bearings, and it looks

I had clatter at startup and idle (and zero oil pressure then) for eight
years before I got around to rebuilding the engine. What I found was that
the mains and rod ends were worn but not trashed, but there was nothing left
of the cam bearings. So, I recommend that if you're going to do bearing
work, do them all.
-Jean H.