Keeping Battery Terminals Clean

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Keeping Battery Terminals Clean
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Fri, 01 May 1992 16:22:50 CDT
pacdata!dave@uunet.UU.NET (Dave Ambrose) writes:
>       On a note of prevention -- has anyone tried those plastic tubs
> for the batteries?  Do they keep water off the terminals,  or do they
> just provide a built-in swimming pool for the battery(s)?

I think the battery could sit in a puddle until the end of time without
doing itself any harm, unless the case is cracked, of course, in which
case you know where the puddle came from.  :-)

My long-lasting remedy for battery connections is to smear the terminals
liberally with good old-fashioned Vaseline after cleaning and connection.
The first hot cycle will thin the Vaseline somewhat and allow it to run
into the clamp, thus coating all exposed surfaces. No corrosion, no bad
connections after that. I also have some cheap plastic aftermarket terminal
covers that I snap on top to prevent arcing, etc., during engine work.

Let me waste a little more bandwidth to credit my source: an old engineer
friend at Cambridge University Engineering Department (England). He in turn
first heard this from his Spitfire mechanic, who used this technique on the
interior light switch many years ago. (This particular Spitfire was the
early three-wheeled type with machine guns in the wings.)

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473