A-H roars again

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars
Subject: A-H roars again
From: jeb@mtqub.att.com
Date: Fri, 1 May 92 15:15 EDT
Well, my Austin-Healey (BN1) roared back to life last evening.
I hate to admit it, but it's been well over a year (maybe closer
to two, but memory fades) since it was on the road.  It was
reluctant to start, but finally came to life, emitting great
clouds of smoke from the oil I had put in the cylinders and
from some new exhaust parts.

After the engine settled down to idle, I climbed in and pushed
in the clutch pedal - SPROINGGGGGG!  the clutch linkage (silly
multiple link mechanical arrangement) came apart and dropped on
the floor.  Then I tried pumping the brakes - nice and solid!
In fact, rock solid - the pedal pumped up to the top and stayed
there.  And the rear wheels (blocked up) are locked tight.  So
I guess it isn't quite ready for the road yet.  The worst
thing that can happen to these cars is to sit around for long
periods without being driven.

Jim Beckman   AT&T, Middletown, NJ    att!mtqub!jeb