Re; head Gaskets

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Re; head Gaskets
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Sat, 02 May 1992 12:59:36 CDT
Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com> writes:

> The last few rebuilds I did I used the copper type gasket sealer(can't recall
> the brand name) on head gaskets with no problem.  My brother in law who used
> to rebuild racing engines recommended it.  He says he uses that stuff all the
> time.

So do I; I have just retrieved a can from the basement and carefully balanced
it on top of my VT100 as I type here... Its official name is ("The Original"!)
K & W COPPER COAT Gasket Compound. Some highlights from the label:

        Dries in two minutes; permits sliding of gasket for perfect lineup.
        Use on all gasket materials EXCEPT rubber. (emphasis theirs)
        Contains no shellac.
        Resists [...all popular vital fluids and some you never thought of...]
        Recommended for all general assembly, including high pressure jobs.
        May also be used as an anti-seize compound, especially where dis-
          similar metals meet.

Speaking strictly as a satisfied consumer here, I find it works very well.
Comes in a shake-it-up can with a weird steel-wool applicator brush inside
the cap. I've had no problems with any job I used it on.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473