Re: Removing crankshaft nut on 1500 midget engine

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Removing crankshaft nut on 1500 midget engine
From: dbraun@cadev6.intel.com (Doug Braun ~)
Date: Sun, 3 May 92 01:12:35 -0700
Here's what worked on my 1300 Spitfire:

Get a relatively big pipe wrench to fit the nut.
($5.00 used from flea market).  Take off the radiator,
of course.  Place the wrench on the nut, with the handle resting
on the left-side of the frame.  Disconnect the wires from the
coil, so it can't start.  Turn the key.  The torque from the
starter motor will easily break it loose.  Worked first time
for me.  You might need to tie the wrench in place so the vibration
doesn't just make it fly off.

This reminds me of the cleverest thing I ever thought of while
messing with cars:  My old Datsun had an almost dead battery,
too weak to work the starter.  It was parked pointing down a fairly
steep hill, with its front wheels against a curb, thus making
pushing impossible.

The trick to start it:

I jacked up a back wheel, put it in 2nd gear, took a piece of clothesline
I had in the trunk, wrapped it a couple of turns around the back wheel,
and pulled real hard.  Started right up.

 Doug Braun                         Intel Design Technology
                                    408 765-4279

 dbraun@scdt.intel.com

 or maybe:

  / decwrl \
  | hplabs |
 -| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev6!dbraun
  | amd    |
  \ qantel /