gas tank repairs

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: gas tank repairs
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1992 08:04 PDT
I had a similar problem with my 77 Midget.  However, after I removed the paint
from the bottom, I noyiced many small pinholes of rust.  You could push
a norrow pointed object right through some of them with little effort.  So I
wire brushed the bottom with a drill attachment untill it was bright, sanded it
and used epoxy resin glue to fully seal all holes and about an inch or so around
 them.  For larger holes, I just built up  layer until I could easliy
fill over it.  When I say larger holes I mean about 2mm accross.  I scored the
metal with a file in a cris-cross fashom

Reply received on OREGON from user OPERATOR at _OREGON$TXB0:   08:00:00
OREGON Operator now on duty at  4-MAY-1992 08:00:00.15

metal with a file in a cris-cross fashon to allow the resin more to hold on to.
That was 2 years ago and its still fine.  Actually, I got alittle carried away
and almost covered the whole bottom of the tank.  The only problem I had
was that whilst driving along some hell road works i Montana a rock hit the
tank and created a tiny hole which dripped rather than poured.  To fix, I got
a small piece of gasket paper and a self tapping screw.That repair, although
temporaray at the time is still permanemt!!.

Cheers DW