Re: Need a nut size...

To: metzger@decwet.enet.dec.com (Forget it.... 06-May-1992 1031)
Subject: Re: Need a nut size...
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 6 May 92 13:55:00 CDT
>My rear brake adjusters have seized into the backing plate.

Boy, does THIS sound familiar.

>In order to get the
>adjusters out I need to pull the rear hubs and remove the backing plate so
>that I can take it to a machine shop and have them drill out the old adjusters
>and put in the new ones.

I got lucky.  I had a spare Midget backing plate with one that could be freed.

>but for some reason can't get the left hand side off (yes I know it
>is a left hand threaded nut on that side :-).

Good thinking, I was already reaching for the "r" key to tell you it was
left-hand.  Smiling, remembering my first time...

I find it hard to believe it is a metric size.  If it is metric, it is 47mm.
More likely a Whitworth, eh?

1 and 13/16th's = 46.0375mm

1 and 7/8's     = 47.625mm

Whip out your trusty Vernier caliper and measure it.

You have these two huge sockets?  I'm surprised the bigger one does not do the
job. . Less than a 16th in that big a size should not be that big a deal.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324