Need a nut size...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Need a nut size...
From: Forget it.... 06-May-1992 1031 <metzger@decwet.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 92 10:31:36 PDT
This is a strange request. I need to know the nut size of the nut holding the
rear hub of a 70 Midget onto the axle. Now I'll relate the whole story....

My rear brake adjusters have seized into the backing plate. In order to get the
adjusters out I need to pull the rear hubs and remove the backing plate so that
I can take it to a machine shop and have them drill out the old adjusters and
put in the new ones.

I've managed to get the nut off the right hand side (after knocking back the
lock washer) but for some reason can't get the left hand side off (yes I know
it
is a left hand threaded nut on that side :-). The pipe wrench I used on one
side
doesn't give me enough grip. The nut is larger than a 1 and 13/16th's socket
and
smaller than a 1 and 7/8's socket. None of the local rental places or sears
carries metric sockets that size....ugh...

Does anyody know a place where I can get a metric socket (or special socket )
that size and not pay an arm and a leg for a 1 shot use. Anybody local to
Seattle got one I can borrow?

If worse comes to worse I've got an appointment with the snapon man friday....

Bummed to not be driving the MG in this weather....

John Metzger