prodorking

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: prodorking
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 7 May 92 14:04:12 EDT
Prodorking is productive working.  I guess you could call it the
reverse of sworking.  It's more rare than sworking for me, but it
happened last night on my TR6... In one eve, I was able to remove my
carbs, trans, clutch, flywheel, rear plate, and put everything back
(except the trans & carbs) in a period of 2 1/2 hours.  That's
prodorking!

I was doing all this to fix my low clutch pedal problem.  I was sure
that this was due to the broken pin in the release fork and I was
right.  After I pulled the trans out of the peddler I was able to get
the broken pin out of the fork without cutting the shaft or the fork!
There is a small hole on the top of my clutch release fork where I
could use a drift and tap out the pin.  It didn't work at first, but
after I got the hole lined up, my big hammer persuaded the broken pin
to fall out.  Yay!  I celebrated with a fine ale!  ;-)

My engine has about 700 miles on it's rebuild.  Shortly after the
rebuild there was oil dripping from the rear engine plate.  So, I
figured that I didn't install the rear seal properly.  Since I had the
trans out, I decided to check it out.  Removed the clutch, flywheel,
rear plate, and guess what I found?  Nothing.  No leaks, and no oil!
The end of the crank was as clean as the day I put it in the block.
So where was this oil coming from?  Following up the back of the
engine, I found my leak.  The valve cover gasket was leaking from the
rear!  I didn't use any sealer on the gasket when I installed it
because I knew I would be retorquing the head and readjusting the
valves shortly after the rebuild...  Funny, after I retorqued the head
and adjusted the rockers last week, I sealed up the valve cover.  I
new it was leaking, but I didn't know that it was LEAKING... I sure am
glad that I didn't pull the trans to just to fix the rear seal.  If I
had done that, it would have been a night of sworking instead of
prodorking!  :-)

Now the reason I pulled the carbs off because (1) it makes it lots
easier to get to the trans bolts, and (2) I have a sticky throttle
plate in one of the carbs.  A sticky plate makes it really difficult
to get your idle set, let me tell you!  I think that I just didn't get
the plate centered correctly when I rebuilt them.  Anyone got some
tips on getting it right this time?

Happy prodsworking! :^}
---
"All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest British
manufacture"

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley